It only takes a nibble or a lick
- Lilies are one of the most dangerous flowers to have around cats. It take only a nibble or a lick to send a cat into acute kidney failure, which can be fatal.
- If you live with cats, never have lilies in the house. When sending flowers to friends or family members with cats, specifically request no lilies.
Toxic flowers and catsThere is nothing that adds colour like a bunch of fresh cut flowers around the house. They add a lovely welcoming touch to any home. Cat owners should be aware that those lovely flowers can potentially be toxic for cats, especially LILIES.
DAFFODILS, for example, can cause stomach upsets, vomiting or worse if your cat eats the foliage, flowers or pods. Other plants you may not suspect, such as ALOE VERA, can be toxic for cats as well.
Listed below are some of the many plants that are potentially toxic for cats and should be avoided. Be especially careful with ALL LILIES. All parts (flowers, leaves and stems) are extremely toxic to cats and have caused tragic deaths.
- Autumn Crocus
- Bird of Paradise
- Lily of the Valley
- Day Lily
- Rubrum Lily
- Easter Lily
- Oriental Lily
- Elephant Ear
- Asiatic Lily
- Aloe Vera
- Morning Glory
- Sanseveria (Mother in Law's Tongue)
- Arum and Calla Lilies
- Pussy's Ears
If your cat eats or comes in contact with any of these plants or any other dangerous items you should seek immediate veterinary assistance. If possible, take part of the toxic plant with you for identification to assist with treatment.
Poisons information phone 131126